Please do not post any link or advertisement on my blog, it will be removed.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc - Inaccuracy in touch screen input

I got an Xperia Arc recently. Camera is great, screen was great. The problem? Touches NEAR the edge of the screen are being received as inputs AT the edge of the screen.

This is what I mean:

Where the touch was supposed to be
What the Xperia Arc receives as input

This is a really retarded problem. I wont even call it a bug, since it is likely a hardware limitation. I was using HTC Desire, it didn't have such problem before. Even Samsung doesn't have this problem.

This causes a lot of problem in game-play and, depending on the user, a lot of problems in daily admin usage; since many apps seem to like placing small buttons near the edges of the screen.

I suspect it's a design flaw in the phone: It is likely that Sony Ericsson employed a digitizer same size as the screen, as such, touches near the edge are inaccurately received. For HTC, I think their digitizer is slightly bigger than the screen.

If you're using an Arc too, you can try playing "Cut the Rope", try touching the reset or menu button at the top right corner in the game, then you'll know what I mean.


I posted this problem online several times, there are always some idiot Arc users insisting that there is no such issue with their Arc. Well, maybe they're really lucky, but I've tested over 10 sets of the Arc, the problem is real.

Went to the Sony Ericsson service center at Wisma Atria, the pinoy women insisted that there is nothing wrong with the phone, and even tried to blame it on the custom launcher I'm using.

 There's even a (blur) video on Youtube which demonstrates this problem:


Since it's more like a hardware problem, I think the only solution for this is to change phone. Hmm, 2 more years till contract ends.

*Update 29/01/2012
I've been trying out several other phones by Sony Ericsson, turns out that all touchscreens of SE phones are designed this way.

Models which I have tried includes:
Xperia Arc S
Xperia Neo V
Live with Walkman
Xperia Ray
Xperia Play

*Update 16/01/2013
I really like Sony phones because of walkman and its camera, frankly after using Sony for a while, these two are the only good thing they have. Their software and customization - in my opinion - can be said to be far from impressive. So with just a thin hope that they would rectify the edge touch issues,  I've been testing Sony's new models to check for it. They have sort of worked around the issue, the "dead zone" near the edge is reduced in the newer models, but it is still there, and I'm sure using it would irritate sooner or later.

The models I've tried are:
Xperia V
Xperia Ion
Xperia Arco S

The Xperia Z which is just announced recently at CES 2013 looks stunningly beautiful, I pray hard that the edge touch issue will finally be resolved in this model, and that the software doesn't suck as much. However, after trying out the many generations of Sony's phone, I have a hunch that I would be disappointed yet again.


*Update 11/02/2013
I made a diagram to illustrate what I mean on the inaccuracy in touch screen inputs near the edge.



As shown in the diagram, there is a "dead-zone" NEAR the edge where all touches are registered as input ON the edge. There is a small area near the dead-zone where touches calibrated to 'spread' the inputs. In newer 2012 xperia models, the dead zone is slightly smaller, but it is still significantly noticeable when you use the phone for daily usage. I really have no idea why would anyone design the touch screen to receive input this way, especially when other manufacturers such as Samsung, LG, HTC and even BlackBerry have touch screens which receives input properly.

6 comments:

  1. Yea I believe it's a design flaw of the phone. Just that many people didn't notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am facing same issue, automatically the touchscreen is pressed all the time. I am so upset that I bought an expensive handset with errors that I cant use it comfortably. Xperia Arc not good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar problem - Xperia Arc S. Using touchscreen test by dialling up the service menu - *#*#SERVICE#*#* (same as *#*#7378423#*#* ).

    Press on the right hand side of the screen to make little dots. OK when the phone is running from battery but WHEN THE CHARGER IS PLUGGED IN, often (sometimes after only 3 or 4 presses), the screen acts like it is being multi-touched and draws a line from my press to an imaginary second press on the other side of the screen.

    At first I thought it was because I used a BlackBerry charger (mini USB... should all be the same, 5v) which had a metal earth pin (I'm in the UK) and maybe it was an earthing issue. So then I tried the charger that came with the Arc S. Same problem. Disconnected the charger and now it isn't drawing lines.

    Problem also manifests in the keyboard when doing a search / SMS message - random letters are pressed. Also in the home screen, swiping from one screen to the next is very glitchy when the charger is plugged in - sometimes it responds like I have dragged half way across the screen and let go, making the screen ping back. Sometimes also it doesn't even start dragging.

    So in summary... there is a problem with the touch screen when the phone is charging. How very strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that problem before. My speculation is: capacitive touchscreens respond to the charges from the human skin. If I am not wrong, when the charger is plugged in, charges build up on the surfaces of the screen, and the random motion of this charges may have caused the screen to recognize as inputs, hence leading to random touches.

      Just a side note, on my previous phone (HTC Desire), the back of the phone has a metallic surface, when the phone is charging, you can feel static if you rub your skin against the surface. Now it somewhat makes sense that the metallic surface may have been designed to prevent charges build up on the phone.

      Delete
  4. Thank God....bcz i was thinking that it's my own problem.is there any solution for this problem except change the phone!!!
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I have the solution! I've got the same problem with the screen, when it's charging, and now I managed to use it. The secret is, that touch the screen only with the very top of your finger. Very gently, and it works perfectly. Don't press your finger on it! The smaller the contact surface between your finger and the screen, the better result you get. It worked on my Arc, I hope it will work on yours as well.

    ReplyDelete