Please do not post any link or advertisement on my blog, it will be removed.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000

One of the biggest problem I have with mice is the stupid rubberish surface on them. The surface just don't last, and after like 1 year or so, it starts to peel off. My mouse is no exception.

I really like Microsoft's mouse, I've tried other mice, Logitech ones, Razer's Deathadder and Orochi, and MS's mice are the most comfortable. The one I have is the MS Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000. Despite the ugly and weird design (and stupid long name), it feels really comfortable in hand, and the weight is just nice (uses 2x AAA), doesn't put any strain on your hand at all.

Our body secretes oil and this naturally occurring oil is actually quite corrosive. It eats up the rubber surface of the mouse, leaving behind a sticky layer, which I think is the adhesive.

And I decided to dissect my mouse...

First, there's obviously no visible screws on the mouse, so I thought the suspicious looking "Laser" logo is probably the key to it... and so I pry it open, and tah dah, the screw is underneath!

The screw is not the usual philips aka + head screw, it's the Torx screw. Well I expected that already, since many electronics uses that. And I have the Torx screwdriver which I bought when I dissected my W810i years ago.

That torx screw frees the middle section with the microsoft word on it, and then I proceed to try to remove the white body, which was unexpectedly tough. Because there are 2 screws hidden underneath the buttons.... Luckily I did not force open the top cover, if not my mouse would really have died...

So we have like this:


Then I removed the screws securing the circuit board to the mouse body, and we have this:


There's really not much space in the mouse, and the majority of the space was taken up by the batteries. Even a simple mouse looks so complicated, I wonder what would I deal with after I graduate.

And so I proceed to clean up the dirt on my mouse. The pain-in-the-ass part was to remove the entire rubber surface. the adhesive was so damn stubborn, and I didn't want to scrap it as it'll leave a lot of scratches. So I used the most ancient method: tape, trying to stick the thing off. It was really stupid.

Long story short, I used a dish sponge in the end. The dish sponge scratched the surface like hell, but the effect turns out nice, as it looks like it has a brushed effect design. lol.


You can't see the "brush" effect, as I use phone camera, not a DSLR, but you can see that torx screw at the back of the mouse.

I spent 6 hours on this freaking "project", but heck, not like I had anything better to do, and I kinda like my "new" mouse :D

*edit 17/08/2012*
I made a step-by-step guide on how to dismantle the  Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 here.

5 comments:

  1. But now the little laser logo is permanently damaged and so you couldn't replace it?

    My scroll wheel seems to be tilted to the right side a bit. Can't decide if it's worth the effort to break mine open or just leave it. Especially if it means I lose the little laser logo and still can't end up fixing whatever is wrong inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The laser logo is just pasted into position using double sided tape, it should not be too badly damage if it's pry out with care. It would have a bit of scratch, but wouldn't be very visible.

      If your scroll wheel is tilted to the right, that means your middle click button is pretty badly worn out. The right axle of the scroll wheel rests directly on top of the middle click button. My mouse's middle click button was broken due to wear and tear as well.

      It is possible to dismantle, and try to paste a few layers of smooth tape on top of the middle click button to make it thicker. But it can be quite tedious and may not work well.

      I would not recommend dismantling unless you are prepared for the mouse to be thrown away. Quite a bit of DIY patching is also required to fix the issue.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice. I think I will just use the mouse as long as I can as is rather than make my life more complicated. It works, and the scroll wheel tilt and inconsistent wheel-click sound are only mildly annoying.

      Delete
  2. deberian de hacer un video de como se desarma, seria muy util para darle mantenimiento, gracias y saludos.

    ReplyDelete